The Kent Police Museum is undergoing some exciting changes.
In September 2015 we relocated from Chatham Historic Dockyard to temporary accommodation at Kent Police Headquarters in Maidstone.
We are currently progressing a move to a new, permanent location within the Kent Police estate, and hope to have more news about this in the near future.
Our vision for the future is to deliver a modern, yet thoughtful, interactive museum, which captures the past, present and future of Kent Police. We want to produce an inspiring new museum and we want to make sure the artefacts we have are safely preserved for future generations to enjoy.
Please get in touch with the museum curator, Holly Wells, at email@example.com or by calling 07989 992276 for any of the following:
Kent County Constabulary was formed on 14 January 1857 with 222 officers and men under Chief Constable John Henry Hay Ruxton. A former army man in charge of convict ships to the new world, he rented the first police headquarters in Stone Street, Maidstone.
At the time there were police forces within Canterbury, Deal, Dover, Faversham, Folkestone, Gravesend, Hythe, Maidstone, Rochester, Ramsgate, Sandwich, Tenterden and Tunbridge Wells.
The borough forces of Deal, Hythe, Faversham, Sandwich and Tenterden were merged with Kent County Constabulary in 1889, leaving just nine autonomous forces which amalgamated in 1943.
Kent Police, as it is known today, is now served by three divisions which align with the 12 council boundaries and Medway Unitary Authority.
|Kent's first Chief Constable, John Ruxton|
|Officers at Faversham Station in 1899|