Skip to main content

Home | Advice and licences | Anti-social behaviour

Anti-social behaviour

How we can tackle nuisance behaviour

While Kent is a safe county with low levels of serious crime, nuisance behaviour continues to disrupt the lives of far too many residents.

At Kent Police we take this very seriously indeed, which is why we have introduced more neighbourhood officers to work with residents and local organisations to find real solutions to anti-social behaviour and other local problems.

What is 'anti-social behaviour'?

It can mean a wide range of things, including:

noise and rowdy behaviour

harassment/intimidation/threatening behaviour

nuisance neighbours

dealing/taking of drugs and drinking alcohol in the street

nuisance/abandoned vehicles



misuse of fireworks and fires being started

graffiti, litter and flytipping

noisy/intimidating dogs

prostitution and indecent behaviour

hoax calls to emergency services

These issues can make an area frightening and unpleasant to live, work and relax in. This is not right, which is why the police, councils, Kent Fire and Rescue Service and other public and voluntary organisations use their powers to get to the root of the problem and take action to stop it.

Things that aren't really anti-social behaviour are children playing and noise from DIY projects (unless it's an unreasonable time of day/night).


How to report anti-social behaviour

  • For non urgent issues and to pass on information, call your local council or Kent Police on 101
  • In an emergency (if a crime is in progress or you think the offenders are near by), call 999.
  • To give information anonymously, call Kent Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

In some cases, other local authorities are responsible for dealing with anti-social behaviour issues. For example your local council has powers to deal with abandoned vehicles, graffiti and flytipping, noise, including loud music, parties, noisy neighbours, alarms, noisy animals and noise from pubs and clubs.

Please read our A-Z for details of who best to contact to get an issue resolved.


What we can do

When you report anti-social behaviour to Kent Police, we will take the problem seriously and keep repeat victims informed of progress to resolve the issue.

The police and other local organisations such as the council have a range of powers available to us to tackle anti-social behaviour. For example:

  • Acceptable behaviour agreements (ABAs) - where an individual recognises the effect their behaviour has on others and agrees to stop. This may be offered with support to help them do this.
  • Anti-social behaviour orders (ASBOs) - court orders to stop persistent nuisance can be made against anyone aged 10 or over. Breaching an ASBO can lead to up to five years in prison or a fine of up to £5,000 and various other offences.
  • closure notices - shutting down licensed premises causing a noise nuisance or houses where people deal in and take class A drugs. Closures can last for up to six months.
  • designated public place orders - to limit drinking of alcohol in a set area. Alcohol can be confiscated and anyone refusing to cooperate can be arrested. The penalty is a £50 fine or being banned from drinking in public.
  • fixed penalty notices and penalty notices (fines) - can be used by police officers, PCSOs and accredited council officers to impose fines of up to £80 for causing a nuisance.
  • dispersal orders - can be used to move groups away from a particular area if they are believed to be responsible for or likely to cause a nuisance to others. People under 16 years of age can also be returned home.
  • court penalties - ranging from a prison sentence, fines of up to £5,000 in a magistrates' court, probation or orders including community services, curfews and attendance centre orders.


What you can do - get involved in your community

You can help us tackle crime and anti-social behaviour by:

Report it
Related information