Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions - Reporting a collision

Should I inform my insurance company or claims adviser?

Yes – as soon as possible and even if you do not intend to make a claim. Your insurance company or claims adviser will confirm the exact information they need from you.

How do I get information from the police?

You can contact the Central Process Unit handling your case or call the Force Control Room on 101.

If you do not know which process unit is handling your case any of them will be able to help you. Please do not contact emergency response officers directly, including those who attended your incident. These officers will not be able to give you the priority you deserve, as they may not be on duty when you call.

Will Kent Police contact me?

Yes. Kent Police will inform you about the collision investigation, if one is necessary. The investigation usually takes less than six weeks. You will also be informed if someone is to be prosecuted. Please note that prosecutions take longer than investigations. For road traffic collisions involving fatal (and some life-changing) injuries, a dedicated Family Liaison Officer will be your main point of regular contact.

 Does Kent Police prosecute every collision?

No. But Kent Police will always consider prosecution where there is evidence to support allegations of an offence. You can expect to be informed if a prosecution will be sought in your case.

 Who decides to prosecute?

It is the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) that decides whether to prosecute or not. The CPS is independent from the police service and is a seperate organisation and legal entity. The police's role is only gather and present evidence of offences to the CPS. We are not involved in civil claims and prosecutions. These are usually dealt with directly between the parties involved.

Can I get a copy of the collision report?

Yes – if a collision is investigated by the police a report will be generated. A summary of the report is made available on payment of an administration fee. These reports are usually requested by and issued to your insurance company, claims adviser or legal representative.

What about publicity?

Where possible, Kent Police encourages respect for the identities of those involved in road traffic collisions – especially in relation to vulnerable road users. Media coverage of events may be necessary when an appeal for witnesses is made, to establish circumstances surrounding the incident. However, personal details (name and address) of anyone involved will not be issued by Kent Police.

Is there help with coping after a collision?

Yes. There are other organisations that can offer you help and support. After being in a road traffic collision you may experience a number of emotions including shock, guilt, post-traumatic stress, sleeplessness, nervousness and worry. These types of feelings are normal in the hours or days following an incident. You might choose to consult your doctor or NHS Direct if you experience these symptoms.

What should I do if there are delayed symptoms of injury?

You must seek immediate medical advice if you experience any delayed symptoms. If you experience delayed symptoms and this results in confirmation of an injury as a result of the collision, you should inform Kent Police at the earliest opportunity. Please contact the Central Process Unit that is handling your case or the police station where you reported the incident. You should also let your insurance company or claims adviser know as soon as possible.  

Related information: