This form isn't for reporting domestic abuse. If you need to do that, please report a crime

This scheme gives any member of the public the right to ask the police if their partner may pose a risk to them. It is often called ‘Clare’s Law’ after the landmark case that led to it.

This scheme also allows a member of the public to make an enquiry into the partner of a close friend or family member.

Please note: The Clare’s Law (DVDS) scheme does not replace: CRB (Criminal Record Bureau) Checks, DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) checks, subject access requests or FOI requests.

Advice tool

If a crime is happening now or you're concerned about someone's immediate safety

Thank you. 

This is a crime in progress so we need you to call 999 now.

We'll take down a few details and talk you through the next steps.