Skip Navigation
Body fade

Shot gun licencing

A shot gun is a smooth-bore gun (not an air gun) that:
  • has a barrel no less than 24ins in length and a bore not exceeding 2ins in diameter 
  • either has no magazine, or has a non-detachable magazine incapable of holding more than 2 cartridges 
  • isn’t a revolver gun

New application or renewal

Please download, print and fill in application/renewal form (201).
  • All applications/renewals must be sent by post with payment (make sure you also refer to our list of fees.)
  • Remember to obtain your verfied medical information before submitting your application. You may wish to use our suggested letter format to request this information - download and print GP letter.
  • Additional guidance notes are included in the form. 

Please return your completed form to Firearms Licensing, Kent Police Headquarters, Sutton Road, Maidstone ME15 9BZ.


For information on fees and who to make your cheque payable to; visit Firearms and shotgun licence fees.

Change address

To notify us of a change of address you must email the Firearms team with the following details:

  • The address the certificate is currently registered to
  • The new address and contact number
  • The date of the move
  • If the move is within Kent or outside Kent (see below for more advice)

If within Kent

Please complete the above process AND send your current certificate by post to Firearms Licensing Department, Kent Police Headquarters, Sutton Road, Maidstone, ME159BZ.

If moving to outside Kent

Please complete the above process BUT keep your certificate. We'll transfer your file to the force who covers the area you're moving to. They will contact you directly.

Transfer or dispose of a firearm

If you need to transfer or dispose of a firearm or shot gun, you must make sure Kent Police is informed within seven days.

Complete and return the following form: Notification of transfer or disposal form.

More information

Read the Home Office Firearms Security Handbook which provides guidance on:
  • storing firearms, firearms dealers, firearms clubs, licences for museums and private collections and transporting firearms
To find out how Kent Police deals with firearms issues, read the Home Office Guide on Firearms Licensing Law 2014.

Also see:
  • Remember to obtain your verfied medical informaton before submitting your application. To help, download and print this letter to pass to your GP.  
Back to firearms

Was this page helpful?

This website uses cookies. By using this website, you're accepting our cookies policy and consenting to cookies being used. Read the Kent Police Website Privacy and Cookies Policy. Find out more about Kent Police and your personal data in our Data Privacy notice 2018.

Share with: