A shot gun is a smooth-bore gun (not an air gun) that:
- has a barrel no less than 24ins in length and a bore not exceeding 2ins in diameter
- either has no magazine, or has a non-detachable magazine incapable of holding more than 2 cartridges
- isn’t a revolver gun
New application or renewal
Please download, print and fill in application/renewal form (201).
Guidance notes are included in the form.
Please return your completed form to Firearms Licensing, Kent Police Headquarters, Sutton Road, Maidstone ME15 9BZ.
For information on fees and who to make your cheque payable to; visit Firearms and shotgun licence fees.
To notify us of a change of address you must email the Firearms team with the following details:
- The address the certificate is currently registered to
- The new address and contact number
- The date of the move
- If the move is within Kent or outside Kent (see below for more advice)
If within Kent
Please complete the above process AND send your current certificate by post to Firearms Licensing Department, Kent Police Headquarters, Sutton Road, Maidstone, ME159BZ.
If moving to outside Kent
Please complete the above process BUT keep your certificate. We'll transfer your file to the force who covers the area you're moving to. They will contact you directly.
Transfer or dispose of a firearm
If you need to transfer or dispose of a firearm or shot gun, you must make sure Kent Police is informed within seven days.
Complete and return the following form: Notification of transfer or disposal form.
Read the Home Office Firearms Security Handbook which provides guidance on:
To find out how Kent Police deals with firearms issues, read the Home Office Guide on Firearms Licensing Law 2014.
- storing firearms, firearms dealers, firearms clubs, licences for museums and private collections and transporting firearms