Some sites allow you to share family information and photographs while others let you send messages to thousands of people at the touch of a button.
To help keep your information safe always:
- review your privacy settings to make sure only the people you want to know about you can read your profile and updates
- be careful who you 'friend' online - some people may not be who they say they are while others may say nasty or inappropriate things
- think twice before allowing someone to 'follow' you
- keep personal details to yourself - for example, your date of birth or what school/college you go to
- carefully consider what photos you share online and the impression they give (ie to potential employers)
Do you know which apps your children use?
For detailed advice about staying safe online, including apps, parental controls, cyber bullying and social networks visit Get Safe Online.
your digital identity
Find out more about our latest cyber-crime campaign 'Protect and Connect' as well as our 10 top tips for staying safe online.
Report inappropriate content