Bicycle and motorbike theft
To reduce the risk of bicycle and motorbike theft make sure you clearly mark your bike with your details. We often offer free security marking at events around the county and at cycling parks so keep a look out for us.
Protect your motorbike
Mark motorbikes with the vehicle identification number (VIN). You could use a forensic marking solution.
If you’re approached about buying a bike or accessories and the offer seems too good to be true, it probably is.
- record your bike’s serial number or VIN and keep it in a safe place
- take up-to-date photos of your bike
- register your bicycle on Immobilise.com or bikeregister.com so we can return it to you if it’s found
- get your bicycle insured - either add it to your home insurance or buy separate cover for high specifcation bikes
Secure your bicycle
Always lock it to something anchored to the ground, like a bike rack or lamp post and take any valuables with you.
Make sure the lock is off the floor so it can’t be smashed, and facing downwards so it’s harder to pick.
If your bicycle wheels are removable, lock them and the frame together.
- invest in a good quality lock - using 2 made from different materials often puts thieves off as they’ll need different methods to cut through them
- leave your bike secure in a well-lit place or in view of passers-by
- store your bike securely at home too
- remove accessories that could be stolen without using tools