To apply for a firearm or shotgun licence, read this information carefully and then download the appropriate form(s) from the ‘Downloads’ section below.

Download and print the required form(s) and complete by hand. Please check you have signed it and enclosed the necessary items before sending:

  • completed application form
  • one photograph (a current picture and one that has not been used for a previous application)
  • the appropriate fee
  • your completed GP letter including the signed declaration. 

Please ensure all correspondence is sent to:

Firearms Licensing
Kent Police HQ
Sutton Road
ME15 9BZ

We will no longer be able to accept incomplete applications so they will be returned to the applicant and not processed until fully complete.

If you're applying for the grant or renewal of a firearm, shotgun or explosive licence

We now require your medical information to be sent in to us along with your completed application. Please download the ‘GP Letter’ template below and take it to your GP so they can provide you with the information you need to submit your application to us.

Please note we will no longer be accepting applications that come to us without your medical information.


Firearm certificates

Grant of firearm certificate £88
Renewal of firearm certificate £62
Variation of a firearm certificate (other than when it is renewed at the same time) to increase the number of firearms to which the certificate relates £20
Replacement of a firearm certificate lost or destroyed £4

Shotgun certificates

Grant of a shotgun certificate £79.50
Renewal of a shotgun certificate £49
Replacement of a shotgun certificate lost or destroyed £4

Coterminous certificates

Firearms and shotgun certificates valid for the same dates

Coterminous grants £90
Coterminous renewal £65

Visitors' permits

Individual visitor's permit £20
Group visitors' permit (groups of six or more valid for the same dates) £100

Registered firearms dealers

Registration or renewal £200
Additional premises £13

Cheques or postal orders should be made payable to 'Kent Police and Crime Commissioner'.

If you wish to pay by cash, you must attend Kent Police Headquarters, Sutton Road, Maidstone. However, we cannot issue change so you must pay with the correct money. 

Please note: the fees charged in respect of Home Office or Scottish Government approved shooting clubs and museums will remain at the current levels set of £84.00 and £200.00 respectively.

We aim to complete all applications within 60 working days from the date of receipt, subject to all the relevant information being provided at that time.

For those applications not received within 8 weeks before the expiry date it is likely that your certificate(s) will not be renewed prior to their expiry and you will therefore be required to lodge your firearms with a registered firearm dealer or another certificate holder, before your certificate(s) expire.

Any costs incurred in relation to the lodging of firearms, shotguns, Section 1 ammunition and certificated explosives will be at a certificate holder's own expense.

It must be noted that any certificate holder who has not submitted their renewal application within the above time limit and who does not transfer their firearms before the expiry of their certificates(s) will be liable to prosecution and it is likely that their certificate(s) will not be renewed.

Visitors' permits

Applications for visitors' firearms or shotgun permits must be submitted with the following documentation for each visitor:

  • European Union (EU) Visitors - copy of European Firearms Pass (EFP)
  • Non EU Visitors - either copies of current valid Firearm or Shotgun Licences, or the equivalent of a local Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) check from their country

Currently it is not possible to submit these forms electronically. Faxed, photocopied or scanned copies of documents are acceptable. Where copies are not enclosed the permits will not be issued.

Applications for a Visitor’s Permit should be made at least 8 weeks prior to arrival in this Country. We cannot guarantee the issue of a visitors permit with less than 8 weeks notice.

Registering as a firearms dealer

If your business is connected with the buying, selling, manufacturing, testing or repairing of firearms, shotguns or ammunition you are required to register as a firearms dealer. This allows you to be in possession of firearms, shotguns or ammunition as part of your business without the need to comply with the requirements of a firearm or shotgun certificate in relation to notifications of acquisitions or, in the case of firearms, the need to obtain specific authorisation before you acquire them.

If you attend a game fair or agricultural show outside of the police area where your business is registered you have to register with the police for that area using Form 116.

If another place of business is required in the same area as your primary registered firearms dealer (RFD) certificate then Form 116a - Additional Premises application will need to be submitted. There is no fee for additional places of business in the same police area.

Apply for shooting club approval

All applications for shooting club approval (new or renewal) should be submitted directly to the Home Office. This applies to all clubs in England and Wales. Applications will only be accepted by the Home Office, and should no longer be sent directly to the police.

Once your application has been submitted, the Home Office we will review it to determine if it is valid and, if so, pass it to the police force, who will then make necessary enquiries before sending the application back to the Home Office for consideration. If you do not provide sufficient information and supporting evidence your application is likely to be rejected as invalid and will need to be resubmitted.

Click here to apply for shooting club approval online.

Land or club approval form

The nominated land or club approval form is a non-statutory form but its completion will speed up the application process. Applicants are not compelled to complete the form if they don’t wish to. If the form is not completed, Questions 13 and 14 on the Form 201 must be completed accurately, otherwise your application form may be returned.