Leave this site
We use some essential cookies to make our website work. We’d like to set additional cookies so we can remember your preferences and understand how you use our site.
You can manage your preferences and cookie settings at any time by clicking on “Customise Cookies” below. For more information on how we use cookies, please see our Cookies notice.
Your cookie preferences have been saved. You can update your cookie settings at any time on the cookies page.
Your cookie preferences have been saved. You can update your cookie settings at any time on the cookies page.
Sorry, there was a technical problem. Please try again.
This site is a beta, which means it's a work in progress and we'll be adding more to it over the next few weeks. Your feedback helps us make things better, so please let us know what you think.
A rapist who threatened to kill his victim after assaulting her in a secluded area of Tunbridge Wells has been jailed.
Kent Police received a report on 18 October 2025 that the teenager had been assaulted by an unknown man near Mount Ephraim Road.
Officers attended and obtained a report from the victim. She bravely retraced her movements to identify the location of the offence.
Details about the suspect were also provided including that he had approached the victim whilst riding a bike and told her his name was 'Rocco'.
Extensive enquiries took place, including a review of CCTV footage, which identified a suspect.
On 20 October, Rocco Minafra of Judd Road in Tonbridge was arrested. The 47 year old, who is an Italian national, was later charged with rape, 3 counts of sexual assault and threats to kill.
Minafra denied the charges but was convicted on 16 June 2026 following a trial at Maidstone Crown Court. He was sentenced at the same court on Tuesday 18 August 2026 to 10 years and 9 months' imprisonment. He was also issued with a Sexual Harm Prevention Order lasting 15 years.
Detective Charlene Brent said:
'This was a terrifying and distressing ordeal for the victim who was assaulted by a stranger.
'I'd like to commend her bravery in reporting the offence, despite Minafra's threats towards her, and supporting the investigation. She provided key details to help identify the suspect and even went back to the scene with officers so they could find the exact location, which would have been especially hard for her.
'Despite Minafra trying to deny the offences, the diligent work from the investigation team proved he was lying. I hope the victim can find some form of closure knowing he is behind bars.'