The Returner Scheme is designed to assist us in the return of police officers with valuable skills and experience who:
- would otherwise retire
- have retired from the force in the last two years
The scheme allows a police officer to retire from the force but to then return as an attested officer after a short break of service, which must be a minimum of at least one calendar month.
Eligibility to apply
To be eligible to apply you must meet the following criteria:
- you must spend a minimum of one month and a maximum of 2 years in retirement
- you must have 30 or more year’s pensionable service and hence be entitled to retire with maximum pension benefits (40/60ths) in order to be eligible for the Returner Scheme
- you are in service but have reached 30 years’ pensionable service or are approaching the 30 years’ pensionable service.
Please note the following:
- retired officers will be posted to existing vacancies in line with normal workforce planning practices
- applications will be considered in line with the normal rules regarding an extension of service beyond compulsory retirement age for their respective rank
- returning officers will be subject to pension auto-enrolment in line with the Pensions Act 2008, with the option to opt out.
Some conditions of service change following retirement and re-engagement on the Returner Scheme. Officers must carefully consider the returner scheme guidance.
If you are interested in applying for the returner scheme or would like further details please contact our recruitment team via email [email protected]