During this major incident, we are continuing to provide all the essential services you expect from us, while supporting the NHS and other organisations to keep everyone safe.

If you are contacting us about a policing matter, we may ask if you are self-isolating in order to manage the risk to officers and staff who may attend.

Please visit the Gov.uk – Coronavirus for the latest information.

How you can help

We need your support to help us concentrate our efforts where they’re needed most, protecting the vulnerable, so please only call 999 if there is a need for immediate police action.

If you have a non-urgent enquiry about how we are the policing the restrictions bought in to combat the Covid-19 outbreak, please check our COVID-19 frequently asked questions (below) before contacting us.

For all other non-emergencies, please report crime, or share information with us, online. This should take around 15 minutes. Please help us keep 101 for those who do not have access to the website.

Front counter closures

Front Counter Closures

The following Kent Police front counters are closed to public access until further notice;

  • Ashford
  • Deal
  • Dover
  • Ramsgate
  • Herne Bay
  • Faversham
  • Sheerness
  • Cranbrook
  • Swanley
  • Sevenoaks
  • Tunbridge Wells

Answering bail

If you are required to answer bail, you must do this in person at any police station or front counter.

If the police station or front counter nearest to your home address is closed and you cannot attend another; or you are self-isolating because you, or someone you live with has symptoms (not simply social distancing), you must call police on 101.

You will not be recorded as having answered bail unless you speak to our force control room (101).

Presenting documents after a vehicle has been seized

To present documents after your vehicle has been seized, you will need to attend a Kent police station between Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, but check the ‘front counter closures’ list above.

You can find your nearest police station here.

Reporting crime

In order to allow us to keep our emergency lines open to those who have no other way of contacting us, please report non-emergency crime using the online reporting system.

If you do not have access to the internet you can dial 101.

In an emergency where a crime is in progress or a life is at risk, always dial 999.

Parent resources: Home learning activity packs for children

While the internet is a great space to get creative, connect to friends and family, and learn new things, it needs to be used safely and in a positive way.

As schools remain closed at this time, we’ve got some helpful material to support parents, carers and guardians who are home schooling children to stay safe online and spot the signs of cyber bullying with some fun activity packs to try.

Other non-essential services

In order to support our front line, we are reviewing the following non-essential services for the foreseeable future:

OVRO (Registering as a foreign national)

Travelling to a Police Station to register for the first time, or to report a change in circumstance has been deemed non-essential whilst social distancing measures are in place.

Please do not attend a Police Station to register as a foreign national or to register a change in circumstances.

The Home Office are aware of this decision and your visa conditions will not be affected.

If you wish to register please email nationality.dept@kent.police.uk and provide your details. The team will get in contact with you to re organise attendance when normal service is resumed, or alternatively check back here for further advice in the coming weeks.

Further advice on registering as a foreign national

Fingerprints for visas and work permits

Travelling to a Police Station to obtain fingerprints for non-EU visa and work permits, or for certain passport applications, has been deemed non-essential whilst social distancing measures are in place.

As such we request that you do not attend a Police Station to do so.

Please keep checking our website to see when this restriction has been lifted.

Firearms Licensing

Due to Government social distancing advice, home visits are no longer possible. As a result, we are unable to process any new applications for the grant of shotgun, firearms or explosives certificates at this time.

Renewal applications are currently still being processed. Certificate holders renewing their certificates will be contacted via phone in the first instance.

Please revisit this page regularly as further updates regarding the current restrictions will be provided here in due course.

Local Policing and Neighbourhood meetings and events

We will not be hosting or attending any community engagement events for the foreseeable future. You can keep up to date with our news and information on Facebook and Twitter.

Kent Police Facebook page

Kent Police Twitter pages:

Crime prevention

Please follow the links below for more advice on specific crimes and to view the range of topics in our Crime Prevention section.

Frequently Asked Questions

The restrictions that are being bought in to stop the spread of Covid-19 are unprecedented.

Please check back here frequently, as the advice could change as the situation develops.

Essential and non-essential Travel

You are asked to avoid all non-essential travel, including avoiding travel to and from work if at all possible.

My car requires an MOT

The government has announced that, from 30 March 2020, MOT due dates for cars, motorcycles and light vans will be extended by 6 months. This is being done to help prevent the spread of coronavirus.

Further information can be found on the Government’s website - Gov.uk

Vehicles that are due an MOT before 30 March (and may not have completed that due to the owner self-isolating) are subject to different MOT guidance.

I am expecting to move house

Please visit the HM Government covid-19 moving house guidance for more information on what to if you are in the process of buying or selling a property, including if you are legally committed to a move.

We suggest you read this guidance which is designed to assist you and keep you and all parties involved safe during this time.

I have just seen an officer carrying out a speed check

Our road safety and speed checks will continue as long as we have the resources to support them.

Speeding and other road safety checks are an important part of our approach to preventing road collisions - the most serious of which would put extra strain on the NHS at a time when it is already under extreme pressure.

Social distancing and self-isolation

Can you disperse groups of more than two people?

The advice remains to only go out for essential food or medical supplies, to travel to work if you can or to care for a vulnerable person or to exercise either alone or with those you live with.

Police have powers to direct people to return to their home and to disperse gatherings of three or more people.

Kent Police intend to continue to ensure compliance with the restrictions by engaging and explaining, however they do have the power to deal with anyone who fails to comply through enforcement or issuing fines. We hope this will only be necessary in very few cases.

I want to report a business that should not be open

The local authority environmental health and trading standards officers are responsible for enforcing the regulations requiring businesses such as pubs, cinemas and theatres to close.

You can report businesses that you believe should not be open to Kent Trading Standards

Do I need to inform the police if I am self-isolating?

Do not call the police to report that you are self-isolating or that you are infected with Covid-19 coronavirus.

If you are unable to answer bail due to self-isolation because you, or someone you live with, has symptoms (not social distancing) please use the online "Tell Us About" form in plenty of time before your bail is due.

For more information on what to do if you suspect you may have corona virus, visit the NHS 111 website.

If you are contacting us about a policing matter, we may ask if you are self-isolating in order to manage the risk to officers and staff who may attend.