Unless a crime has been committed or someone is in immediate danger, the police are unlikely to intervene in civil disputes. However, we’ll put you in touch with the groups and organisations who can help. Complete the sentence below to get the advice you need to resolve your dispute as quickly and amicably as possible.

Advice tool

I’m having a dispute with a shop or vendor about a repair or service charge

It’s always a good idea to agree a price for the repair of any item beforehand. However, if repairs have already been made and you disagree with the price, this is a civil dispute.

You're entitled to receive a service that has been carried out with reasonable care and skill, within a reasonable time, for a reasonable price.

If you feel that the price is too high, the first thing to do is to get an independent written estimate of what someone else would charge to do the work.

If you still feel the price is too high, phone: 

This information is provided courtesy of Ask the Police.