Skip Navigation
Body fade
Road traffic collisions

When we attend a road traffic collision

  • if someone is injured
  • ​a road is blocked
  • there is a hazard that puts people's safety at risk
  • an individual is threatening
  • there is a suspicion of drug or alcohol use
  • dangerous driving is suspected
Our role is to keep people safe, get the road open and start an investigation depending on the circumstances. 

When not to contact us:​

You don't need to inform of us of damage-only collisions where no-one was injured and details have been exchanged. Your insurance company will deal with this for you and should be informed as soon as possible.

Serious collisions

If someone has died or suffers life-threatening or life-changing injuries, our specialist officers will investigate. Their findings are normally submitted to lawyers at the Crown Prosecution Service who make a decision whether somone should be prosecuted. 

When to contact us:

  • If someone is seriously injured and if any of the above circumstances are apparent call 999 immediately.
  • If someone suffers minor injuries we must be informed - call 101 within 30 days.
  • If you didn't exchange details after a collision (whether or not it was your fault) you must report it to the police within 24 hours of the incident. 

Coming soon

Later this summer (2017) you will be able to report a road traffic collision online.
Back to Services

Was this page helpful?

This website uses cookies. By using this website, you're accepting our cookies policy and consenting to cookies being used. Read the Kent Police Website Privacy and Cookies Policy.

Share with: